William Painter, 1821-1902
“A man…endowed by nature with more than ordinary mechanical skill…the fruits of whose labor all of us are reaping more or less, one of those by whom the world is more benefited than is by the world acknowledged.”
William was the son of Thomas P. and Mary (Williams) Painter. He married first Caroline Fawcett, who died in childbirth. He then married Elizabeth “Betsy” Self, in 1845 and they had 7 children: Lucinda, David A., George Patton, Mary J., Lamarica Lucretia, Jesse F., and John Henry.
William Painter, Thomas and Mary’s oldest son,
Born near Paintersville, Ohio, April 28th, A. D. 1821.
William a good carpenter and millwright be,
He married Miss Caroline Fawcett, June 6th, 1843.
On May 5th, 1844, Caroline Painter, she died,
With firstborn son, Thomas J. Painter, by her side.
Thomas J. Painter, William’s first son lived one year,
Died by an accident and followed his mother dear.
In 1845 William Painter married a second wife,
One Miss Betsy Self, for the journey of life;
And unto them were born seven children dear,
William and Betsy Painter’s lives and hearts to cheer;
Lucinda, David A., George Patton and Mary J.,
Lajarcia Lucrecia, Jesse F. and John Henry.
William and Betsy settled in Northern Iowa,
William built two large mills in Decorah,
On Iowa river, and one tannery, also;
Then they to South Dakota did go,
Settled near Dexter, Where Betsy Painter died.
Their children are now scattered far and wide,
Some in Dakota and some in State of Iowa,
But William lived with his daughter Lucinda.
William Painter in A. D. 1902, 26th day of July,
Near Dexter, South Dakota, age 81 years, did die,
His body lies beside of Betsy, his wife,
And thus ended their journey in life.
A biography and autobiography and some history of the Painter family with synopsis of life at different times, written by Isaac Painter in rhyme, 1907
“Several years before the Revolution, John Painter immigrated to America with his three brothers and settled near Winchester, Virginia. He married Susanna Stratton. They had four sons and four daughters. David Painter, their oldest son, was born in 1761. He married Martha Faulkner, daughter of Jesse Faulkner of Berkeley County, Virginia, at the Middle Creek Quaker Meeting in 1786. They had a daughter and three sons. The family moved to Ohio in 1801. He died near Paintersville, Ohio, in 1843. Descendants lived in Ohio, Indiana, and elsewhere.” – Isaac Painter, 1907
John Painter b. 1687 in England, migrated to colonies in 1712 on the ship Friends Endeavour. John was noted at the Evesham MM meeting in the early 1700’s. Settlements of Friends’ Meetings in New Jersey
John Painter b. 1710 in England d. Feb. 6, 1770 in Frederick Co., VA m. Hannah Braddock June 9, 1735 in Evesham, Burlington Co., NJ. John and Hannah had 9 children:
1. Sarah Painter b. 1735/36 died 1799 in Green Co., TN m. Samuel Humber or Hamber c. 1761
2. John Painter b. May 5, 1736 in Evesham, Burlington Co., NJ. d. April.6, 1801 in Frederick County, VA m. Susannah Stratton in Sept. 1759 at Evesham MM
3. Robert Painter b. Jan. 21, 1737/38 in Evesham, Burlington Co., NJ. m. Eunice Osmond Dec. 16, 1761 in Frederick Co., VA. Crooked Run MM
4. Jane Painter b. 1740 in Evesham, Burlington Co., VA D. June 4, 1811 in Highland, Ohio. m. Thomas Branson Mar. 2, 1761
5. Thomas Painter b. about 1740 in Evesham, Burlington Co., NJ. Wifes name was Sarah Unknown. Thomas moved to Pennsylvania.
6. Isaac Painter b. 1742 in Evesham, Burlington Co., NJ.
7. Hannah Painter b. 1744 in Evesham, Burlington, Co., NJ. Died Aft 1803. m. John Haines in abt. 1803. Also married Abraham Haynes, Godfrey Antrim, and Phillip Babb.
8. Isaac Painter b. May 23, 1751 at Crooked Run, Frederick Co., VA. d. 1805 in Frederick Co., VA. m. Sarah Haines or Branson on May 3, 1773 in Frederick Co., VA.
9. Sarah Painter b. c. 1753 possibly in Frederick Co., VA.
1. David Painter b. Jan. 11, 1761. He was born in Winchester, Frederick County, VA. Died May 23, 1844 in Paintersville, Greene County, Ohio. m. Martha Faulkner on Feb. 8, 1786
2. Sarah Painter. b. Aug. 25, 1762 in Frederick Co., VA m. Jesse Holloway or Halloway on Jan. 12, 1780 in Frederick Co., VA.
3. Elizabeth Painter b. Oct. 9, 1764 in Winchester, Frederick Co., VA m. Robert Faulkner on April 14, 1784 at Crooked Run MM, Frederick Co.,VA.
4. Jacob Painter b. Aug. 21, 1766 near Winchester, Frederick Co., VA d. Sept. 5, 1851 m. Mary Hunt April 16, 1789
5. Phebe Painter b. June 30, 1768 (notice difference in spelling) Source: Virginia Marriages Early to 1800 by Liahoma Research, Inc. Edited by Jordon R. Dodd. Page 761 m. Isiah Oglesby to Phebe Painter 16 Aug. 1785 Frederick VA. (Also note the different spelling of Isaiah) Phebe died in 1843 in Greene Co, OH.
6. Mary (Polly) Painter b. Nov. 21, 1769 in Frederick Co., VA m. John Fawcett on April 11, 1792 and later married Michael Lindamood.
7. John Painter b. July 18, 1775 in Frederick Co., VA d. July 30, 1860 in Richland, OH. m. Rachel Redd on June 2, 1808.
8, Robert Painter b. July 17, 1778 in Frederick Co., VA m. May Haines Dec. 4, 1799 in Frederick Co., VA.
9. Susanna Painter b. April 4, 1780 in Frederick Co., VA. m. Samule Curl on July 26, 1809 in Columbiana County, OH.
David Painter listed above, had four children with Martha Faulkner:
1. Hannah Painter b. Nov. 17, 1786 at Crooked Run, Frederick Co., VA m. John Horney Anderson on Feb. 19, 1806 in Xenia, OH. They had 8 children.
2. Jesse Painter b. Jan. 1, 1789 at Crooked Run, Frederick Co., VA died June 21, 1867 at Paintersville, Greene Co., OH m. Elizabeth Betsy Smith on August 28, 1816 in Wilmington, OH. They had 11 children.
3. Jacob Painter b. Aug. 21, 1794 d. 1846 in Monrovia, IN m. Naomi Curl abt. 1815 in Paintersville, OH
4. Thomas Painter b. May 23, 1797 near Winchester, Frederick Co., VA d. Oct. 9, 1873 in Hesper, IA m. Mary Williams Aug. 17, 1820 at the Clear Creek MM, near Hillsborough, OH.
Thomas and Mary had 11 children:
1. William Painter b. 1821 m. Betsy Self, and Caroline Fawcett
2. Jesse Painter b. 1823 m. Susanna Moorman
3. Phoebe Painter b. 1826 mar. John Fawcett
4. David Anderson Painter b. May 25, 1828 in Paintersville, OH. m. Margarte Jane Fawcett in 1850. Also was married to Carie Coffin and Lucy Ann Moorman. He died in August 1908. Buried at Woodlawn Cemetery, Kansas City, KS.
5. Isaac Painter b. April 22, 1830 in Paintersville, OH. M. Joanna T. Johnson on March 16, 1852 at West Union Quaker MM, Mooresville, IN. (This is the author of Biography of Painter Family. published in 1907)
6. Martha P. Painter b. 1832 in Paintersville, OH. m. Joseph Mote in 1850.
7. Elizabeth Ann Painter b. 1834 in Paintersville, OH d. 1904 in Whitter, CA. m. Smith Fawcett in 1852 in Paintersville, OH
8. Mary Painter b. 1837 in Paintersville, OH m. Dempsey Morris in 1856 in New London, IN.
9. Rebecca Painter b. 1839 in Xenia, OH. m. Smos Earle
10. Louisa Painter b. 1841 in Paintersville, OH m. George F. Round
11. Asenath Painter b. 1843 in Paintersville, OH m. William Jones.